Tuesday 17 April 2012

This book changed my life

I wouldn't say there are many things that I can honestly attribute to changing my life......I'm always looking for that wonder hair product that will transform me into a model, or that holiday souvenir that will become a "trendy vintage find" etc but realistically, it never happens. However, this book that my mum bought me a few years ago has changed everything about the way I live my life.

Don't sweat the small stuff omnibus - my Richard Carlson
You can buy it from Amazon - I've got the omnibus edition which covers money, work and general day to day life.

You could say that in the past I have been stressed and anxious and even depressed about things that were probably not that big a deal. That's not to say that anxiety and depression aren't serious illnesses.....but there is a way out and there is a way to change how you live your life.

Here are some of my favourite strategies from the book: (in my own words)

Self fulfilling prophecies:

How many times have you thought "I've got a really long day ahead tomorrow, I'm going to be really tired." Well done. You have just decided that you are going to be tired tomorrow! Don't live in the future, you have little control over it......

Living in the future:

Is this "problem" only relevant now or is it actually going to ruin your life ? By this I mean : is the thing your worried about going to be a big deal next week, month or year? Or will you have totally forgotten about it by then? And if the answer is yes, then it probably isn't worth worrying about. Sounds simple. It is.

The biggest disaster:

Have you ever thought "this is the best thing that will ever happen to me" or "the worst thing ever"? How do you know? You don't. You don't know what will happen in the future so how can you know that you are having the worst ever day? Things might get better, they might get worse. It's how you react that matters.

Putting it in perspective:

It's all small stuff!!! That's what you really learn from this book. Obviously you are still going to have bad and good days, but the bad days won't be such a big deal and you'll appreciate the good days that little bit more!

I love this book! It might not work for everyone....but maybe give it a try?

P.s........


Pinned Image
Via Pinterest


1 comment:

Eloise said...

I'd love to read this! I actually saw someone review it on youtube a few weeks ago and thought it looked quite interesting

xx