Thursday 24 May 2012

DIY tissue paper pom pom decorations

I have seen these exquisite decorations in many places recently and thought they would be pretty complicated to make. Wrong! Super easy, super cheap (especially if you have the materials already like I did.)

Here's one I made earlier - hanging in my garden:
Yellow tissue paper decoration

Here's what you do:

Find some tissue paper in your crafty stash box. Whoop with joy that you don't have to go out and buy any. Also find some think silver wire and some sharp scissors.

My tissue paper was in big rectangular sheets so I folded it into a triangle and then cut along the line to make squares. (That doesn't make much sense, but I'm sure you get what I mean.)

You will need about 7-10 layers of tissue paper.



Then you need to concertina your tissue paper.




It is a bit tricky to get the folds even but it's not the end of the world if they are a bit wonky!
Then you need to tie a bit of wire around the middle like so:


Trim the ends with some sharp scissors into a rounded "petal" shape.



Carefully separate out the layers of tissue paper to create a 3d ball shape:




When all the petals are evenly spread, you are ready to hang your decoration! You could tie ribbon around the wire to make a more professional finish or you could use different coloured layers of tissue to make a brighter pom pom!

Some pom pom inspiration for you:


My pastel peach pom pom

At martha stewart.com

Beautiful turquoise

Colour coordinating

Natural neutrals

Patterned papers

Use as a table centre piece at weddings

You can dip dye the ends to create a more flowery hue


Well..........I hope you are as overwhelmed with inspiration as I am!! Happy pom pomming!

No comments: